Saturday, August 18, 2012

The Kindness of Strangers

I love New York!  It's not just because of all the things to do and see or for their great transportation system. I love it because of all the great people who live in the city.  For the third time, I have had been blessed by the kindness of a stranger.

The first time, I was in graduate school and was so excited about visiting the city that I jumped out of the cab and left my wallet on the seat.  A few minutes later, the driver came running in with my wallet.  A couple of years later, I was stuck on the Cross Bronx Expressway for 21 hours in brutal snow storm. I walked a half mile to the next exit to find a phone (this was way before cell phones!).  A group of people in a VFW hall cooked breakfast and offered it for free to all the stranded motorist.  It was such a blessing.

Yesterday, I arrived at the airport a few hours before my flight to Newark and found out that it had been cancelled. I was on my way to see my son's game against the Giants I was re-booked on a flight into NYC instead of Newark. I decided to take a city bus to the subway and then catch a train into New Jersey where the game is being played.  It seemed pretty straightforward.  I got on the bus only to find out that they only accepted a Metro card or the correct change in coins.  I didn't have either. The bus driver allowed me to ride for no charge since I was headed to the subway.

When I got to the subway, the clerk told me to take any train to 34th street.  What he didn't explain is that all the trains did not got there directly.  I sat next to a young man with headphones on.  I asked him about how to get to Penn Station.  He volunteered to not only show me how to get there but also carried my suitcase up and down the subway stairs. When I exited the subway I realized that I didn't get his name.

My day could have started out really badly but instead, I had a great ride through the city because of the kindness of strangers.  I thank God for allowing me to have this experience.  Now I pray the game has the same happy ending.  Enjoy your weekend and take time to do something kind!

DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment