Friday, September 21, 2012

Life Lessons from Mom - Don't Forget!



I was talking to a friend not too long ago and she told me she had just joined the "Gratitude" movement.  She was beaming about how good she felt when she would write a note or make a call to someone to say "thank you."  I was happy she was taking the time to give thanks but I wanted to tell her that my mom started that movement for me a long time ago.  Whenever someone would do something nice mom would take out her pretty stationery (she kept loads of it!) and wrote a note to tell the person how much she appreciated what they did.  Often she would tell us "Remember to praise the bridge that carried you over to safety!"

I grew up with a great respect for bridges.  When I was a kid, we would go and visit my Uncle George over in Pittsburgh.  It seemed like we had to cross hundreds of bridges to get to his house. The cars back then were huge.  I would sit on the floor in the back seat and close my eyes until we  would get across the bridge.  It never ceases to amaze me that we could be so high above the water and the bridge would support us and all the other cars that came across at the same time.

When I first learned to drive, I went to visit my sister in San Diego.  Her husband was stationed on North Island Naval Base.  He told me that I could use the car for the day if I would take him to work.  I had no idea that meant driving him across the Coronado Bridge to get there.  It was a huge bridge that connected North Island to San Diego and it go higher as you curved around on it. It is 200 feet in the air at the highest point and 11,179 feet long.  I was so scared that I was driving with only one eye open!  My brother-in-law begin to scream for me to open my eyes!

I eventually got over my fear of bridges and I am very thankful for how they allow me to get to places I would never have seen without them.  I will be forever grateful for the people who have been my "bridges" in life.  My mom was one of my biggest cheerleaders and teachers.  Whenever I would take her to dinner or send her the smallest thing, she would send me a note to let me know how much she appreciated it.  She did this will all of my siblings and anyone who did something for her. She wanted you to know that your act of kindness did not go unnoticed.  I have so many of those notes and letters and now they are a reminder of the importance of staying "thank you" and the wonderful feelings it brings to the recipient.

So many young children (and some adults also) have not been taught the art of gratitude.  It is not too late to learn! The next time your child gets gift, tangible or intangible, encourage him or her to write a note of thanks.    Buy them some personalized stationery and a book of stamps to make it convenient.  While you are at it, buy yourself some fun cards and nice paper to have on hand for when you need it.  Go ahead!  Make someone's day with words of praise.

Enjoy!

DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment